Saturday, July 11, 2009

Almost went home

It's Saturday evening, and I almost thought I was going to go home A cardiology resident saw me early in the morning. His statement was highly unexpected, and turned to be untrue. Shortly, thereafter, a doctor from the surgical group saw me and suggested I might be here until Monday or Tuesday. Then, Dr. Ginzburg, my cardiologist, came by later and told me I'm going home tomorrow. There aren't many reasons for me to stay here. I feel well and can walk around. I get tired and take a nap, all things I can do at home. I've told them that I'd like to go home, but if there is a medical reason for me to stay, I will. The issue appears to be Coumadin. Even though I have a tissue valve and will not need it lifelong, I have to be on it for about two months, for my mitral valve. They put a plastic ring around the mitral valve when doing the repair. Some scar tissue is expected to develop around the ring, so they have to inhibit clotting while that happens.

Otherwise, things are going very well. My heart is pumping regularly. I've been off oxygen today. I'm certainly getting better much more quickly than I would have predicted.

Please excuse any typos in this post. I'm not quite up to proofreading what I wrote, as I usually do.

No comments:

Post a Comment